Holy Musical B@tman comes to MVHS

As I opened the door to room 204, a roar of laughter enveloped me. A group of about ten students were sitting around and on top of desks, smiling and sharing stories over Oreo cookies and potato chips. A student signals with a cookie in one hand and a flip camera in the other for another student to come to the front of the room. And just like that, the last day of auditions for Holy Musical B@tman began.

Seniors Jenny Gordon and Isabel Burns, and sophomore Eva Khan are the three directors of the musical put on by the Drama Llamas club. This student production group (not associated with the drama department) welcomed me in as a fellow member, though a little disappointed that I wouldn’t be auditioning for the musical. The group has been treating the community with comical musicals for three years.

So far, more than 30 students have auditioned to be a part of this epic comedy about how Batman meets Robin. However, what makes this musical, written by Star Kid Productions, unique is that Batman fights a new villain, Sweet Tooth. Also, there is no Joker.

“It’s a silly comedy show that is very upbeat. You’ll leave the auditorium with a smile.” Gordon said.

I watched Sophomore Dani Gonzalez perform her monologue and song that pulled everyone’s attention in.

“I auditioned because I love being in musicals and performing on stage.” Gonzalez said. Last year she was a part of Urinetown and has been singing in the MVHS choir for two years. “Since the spring musical got cancelled, I thought this would be a great opportunity and everyone seems really nice and talented.”

The musical’s opening and only night is Friday, May 17th in the Mountain View High theater.

[fb-share]

[tweetbutton]