Review: Silver Linings Playbook

Review: Silver Linings Playbook

If you have yet to see Silver Linings Playbook, it’s time to head to the theaters. Jennifer Lawrence, the lead actress in the film, won best actress for her work at the Golden Globes on Jan 14, 2013.  Some other big names in the movie are Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver, Chris Tucker, Anupam Kher, and John Ortiz.

The story begins with  Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), leaving a rehabilitation center, and it is later revealed that Pat suffers from bipolar disorder and anxiety. Previously, Pat walked in on his wife, Nikki, cheating on him with another man, and when he saw the two, he spiraled into a anger-induced mental breakdown.

When he returns home, Pat struggles to settle in to a normal routine. He has several incidents where his anger gets the best of him, and the police has to intervene.  One night, he goes over to his friend, Ronnie’s (John Ortiz) house for dinner.  Without Pat’s knowledge, Ronnie’s wife, Veronica (Julia Stiles), invites her sister, Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) over as well.  Both Tiffany and Pat have troubled pasts, and after running into each other a few more times, they grew closer.  Eventually, they strike a deal: Tiffany will deliver a letter to Nikki from Pat, begging her to come back to him, and Pat will be Tiffany’s partner in a dance competition. As the movie goes on and as story arcs overlap, we watch how Pat and Tiffany grow closer, and in turn learn more about themselves.

I walked into the theater with no prior knowledge of the plot of Silver Linings Playbook, and I was surprised but pleased by the time it was over.  I was impressed that this movie took a simple love story and twisted it into something captivating and edgy.  The acting was fantastic, and I enjoyed seeing Jennifer Lawrence play a more mature role.  Even the soundtrack was very well put together, featuring big-name artists like Stevie Wonder and Jessie J.  To say the least, I would definitely see Silver Linings Playbook again, and I would suggest that anyone who hasn’t seen it yet should check it out before it leaves theaters.

Silver Linings Playbook was a peek into the darkness and troubles some people experience.  It reminds us that not everyone lives the sheltered, Bay Area life that many kids at MVHS do.  Silver Linings Playbook contains ‘mature themes,’ which is why it is rated R, but in the end, it is yet another love story.  However, this movie is the opposite of ‘light and fluffy.’ Instead, it addresses serious problems in a very realistic manner, while incorporating witty humor that left me grinning, tender moments that left me close to tears, and, of course, the intense climax that left me cringing in anticipation.

The film was also very inspirational.  One of the underlying ideas was that even in the most terrible situation, there is always a silver lining, hence the title.  Even if you feel completely hopeless, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, our family and friends will always support us, and although it takes hard work, you can turn around any bad situation.

As Pat would say, “If clouds are blocking the sun, there will always be a silver lining that reminds me to keep on trying.”

View comments (1)
$2475
$7800

$2475
$7800

• P

PoooSep 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Such a good movie!!!

Reply