Zero Period Survival Tips

As the excitement of a new school year slowly fades away, getting up for 0 period becomes an excruciating challenge. The alarm is ringing, the room is dark, and your body has no intent on moving out of your warm bed. Doing jumping jacks in the glow of the rising sun or taking a hard math test is not ideal at 7:15, but here are some of my tips to having a better morning:

1. Lay out your clothes the night before. If you are anything like me, picking out an outfit takes forever, even if the end result is only some jeans and a T-shirt. So do yourself a favor and take care of it before you head to bed. Not only will it save you some extra Z’s, but it makes your morning simple, which is perfect for that brain that is half asleep.

2. Make going to bed a priority. We all know how tempting it is to hop on the computer or Snapchat a friend once your homework is done. While it’s good to relax before going to bed, time is going to fly by and you won’t go to sleep until much later than intended. So put the phone away and text your friend goodnight; you’ll appreciate the additional sleep when morning comes.

3. Set your alarm appropriately. Getting up at 6:00 is no easy feat. And blaring buzzers don’t help. Neither do mellow tunes. Something upbeat and catchy is much better. Whether it be One Direction, Katy Perry, or Gaga, make sure the song inspires you to dance and save the world (although it’s doubtful you will do either before the sun comes up). Save the T-Swizzle and Sheeran for sometime else.

4. Make coffee your new BFF. Or tea. Or hot chocolate. Anything caffeinated is bound to make your morning a little more bearable. A handful of chocolate covered espresso beans is also a great little pick me up on your way out the door.

5. Don’t be late! It’s easy to oversleep or spend too much time getting your lunch together, but it’s essential that you stay on schedule. As the year progresses, hopefully you will settle into a routine. So keep an eye on the clock as you get ready for school and make sure you actually leave the house when you say you are going to.

Here are some more tips from other MVHS students who have survived a 0 period:

• “Having 0 period Chem AP is not exactly the first thing you want to wake up to,” said junior Yuna Choi, “so I always thought of something to look forward to the next day, whether it was what I was going to have for lunch or if I was going to be able to sit next to my friend in class. Those small things really helped me get up at 6:00 AM everyday.”

• As sophomore Charleen Wang puts it simply, “Don’t procrastinate because you will be sleep deprived for the rest of the year.”

• “Prepare everything the night before like your backpack and lunch,” says MVHS alum Rachel Fukuyama. “Look at the weather before you leave so you know what to wear. Listen to music on the way to school and before class to wake you up and make you more excited.”

While most of us are definitely not morning people, hopefully these tips will allow you to wake up on the right side of the bed and set a good foundation for the rest of your day. So flip off the light, pop on your sleep mask, and I’ll see you bright and early at 7:15!