Artists of the week: Redefining catchy

Artists of the week: Redefining catchy

‘Catchy’ is the word that is often used to justify listening to a bad pop song.  However, contrary to popular opinion, there is no need to resort to JBiebs or Carly Rae Jepsen in order to have a serious jam session.  Surprisingly enough, universally catchy songs outside of the pop genre do exist.  From Alternative to Punk to Indie to Classic Rock, I’ve compiled a list of dangerously catchy songs that simply must be sung along to when played.

1) West Coast–Coconut Records

This upbeat yet melancholy tune embodies the classic love song; the most memorable lyric is: And I miss you/I’m goin’ back home to the west coast.

2) Anyone Else But You–The Moldy Peaches

You may recognize this song from the 2007 romantic comedy, Juno.  Its lighthearted (yet confusing) lyrics make this song utterly adorable.

3) Janglin’–Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes

This is a prime song for power-walking and frolicking in meadows.

4) You Don’t Know Me–Ben Folds

Ben Folds has been around since the dawn of time, but this 2008 release puts a polished spin on his usually more moody sound.

5) Teenagers–My Chemical Romance

This is a classic anthem for anyone who fits into the ‘teenager’ category, in reality, or simply at heart.  RIP, My Chemical Romance.

6) Lua–Bright Eyes

This song is sweet, mellow, and acoustic.

7) Good Times Roll–The Cars

The classic driving song.  If you don’t know this one, your parents will (if they’re cool.)

8) Take Me Home–The Jakes

‘The Jakes’ now go by ‘Young The Giant,’ and this song doesn’t exist on iTunes, so it took some super-sleuthing on my part to find it.  Since the first listen, it has remained one of my all-time favorite acoustic songs.

9) Teenage Dirtbag–Wheatus

If you have ever felt left out or rejected, this is the song for you.  Another great song to sing (scream) while driving.

10) Since U Been Gone–Kelly Clarckson

#Sorrynotsorry.  We all know Kelly was better in 2007, and you can tell from the lack of spelling the word ‘you’ that she was seriously empowered when she wrote this song.

11) Boston–Augustana

Only listen to this song when you’re especially emotional. Or when you want to move to Boston.

12) Mr. Brightside–The Killers

If you don’t feel like taking over the world when you hear this song, you should reexamine your life choices.

13) Feeling This–Blink 182

Blink has so many hits, but this song is great when you want to express your frustration over your lackluster love life in a safe manner (by singing along loudly with your door closed.)

14) I Write Sins Not Tragedies–Panic! at the Disco

Just close the gosh darn door!  The fact that this tune only has three different stanzas repeated multiple times makes it easy to memorize and gives Panic! double creativity points.

15) Carry On My Wayward Son–Kansas

If you watch Supernatural, you probably burst into tears every time you hear this song.  If you don’t, you are quite simply missing out.