Midterm Election Results 2018

With all precincts completely reporting in Santa Clara County, most local races can be called for the 2018 midterm election. Last-minute mail-in ballots are counted after election day and may still influence results. Roughly 34 percent of registered voters turned out for the general election. Data represents election results as of 6:30 a.m. Nov. 7.

Mountain View-Los Altos Unified High School Board

Current board members Fiona Walter and Debbie Torok, along with newcomer Katherine Vonnegut, won the four-way race for three school board seats, with 30.3, 27.4, and 24.2 percent of the vote, respectively. Challenger Steven Nelson, former Mountain View Whisman trustee trailed behind, with 18 percent of the vote.

Mountain View City Council

Mountain View saw a city council shake-up, as current incumbents lost their reelection bids in the six-way contest for three council seats. Results show Planning Commissioner Ellen Kamei as the front-runner, with 19.2 percent of the vote.

The two other seats still remain an uncertainty, with Alison Hicks, Lucas Ramirez, and Pat Showalter nearly neck-and-neck. Hicks held the second-highest vote tally by a slim margin, with 17.76 percent of the vote. Ramirez and Showalter followed with 17.67 and 17.23 percent, respectively.

Incumbent and Mayor Lenny Siegel trailed behind, with 15.6 percent of the vote. Former city council member John Inks had the lowest vote-tally, with 12.5 percent of the vote.

“I’m disappointed, but we’re going to have to wait and see,” Siegel said Tuesday evening to the Mountain View Voice. “But right now, it looks like this is the year of the women.”

Los Altos City Council

Neysa Fligor, former member of the El Camino Healthcare District Board and chair of the Parks and Recreation Commission, emerged as the clear front-runner, carrying a ten-point lead in the race, with 31.6 percent of the vote.

The second seat remains a toss-up between challenger Anita Enander and Mayor Jean Mordo, with 20.9 and 20.3 percent of the vote respectively.

Nancy Bremeau followed with 18 percent of the vote, and Teresa Morris trailed far behind with 9 percent of the vote.

Mountain View City Measures

Both measures on the ballot passed with large support. Measure P, a proposed business tax, passed with 69.22 percent of the vote, while Measure Q, a canabis tax, passed with an even greater “yes” vote of 80.69 percent.

Los Altos City Measures

Measure C, a proposed amendment to the city general plan, failed to pass with a 52.18 percent “no” vote.