Seniors selected to participate in national test

On Tuesday, Feb. 5, 66 randomly selected seniors took the National Assessment of Educational Progress test. The National Center for Education Statistics distributes the NAEP test to high schools in the interest of collecting data as a national educational resource.

According to the NCES website, schools and test takers are selected based on location, race, and gender to accurately represent national demographics. The results help educators see how advanced national academic performance is nationally and among these groups. Other uses include developing future tests, closing the achievement gap, and recording national proficiency in each area. Results are returned to the NCES and are not returned to the students or administration afterward.

Assistant Principal Teri Faught was involved in the setup of the NAEP test and expressed her pride that the school was participating in a large scale assessment.

“[By taking this test, students] are doing a service to the state and helping themselves as well as their peers,” Faught said. “By [taking] the test and providing information, they’re supporting solid education.”

Both MVHS and LAHS have been chosen to take the test for the first time. The results help educators see how advanced national academic performance is nationally

[By taking this test, students] are doing a service to the state and helping themselves as well as their peers

The material on the test varies every year. The 2019 test includes subjects such as reading, science, and math. Questions included multiple choice and short answer formats. Each test took one to two hours, and students were not expected to study or prepare.

Students were tested on one of these subjects, which were built on national curriculum from the previous three years. Senior Morgan Lunn, who  took the science test, said she recognized past subjects from biology to physics.

Both Lunn and senior Amber Fry, who took the math test, agreed that the test was like a review. According to Fry, she left the test feeling confident in her performance.

The seniors who participated were also rewarded with one and a half hours of community services for their help, according to Fry.

Correction: Feb. 13 9:12 a.m.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the NAEP test was on Feb. 25, instead of Feb. 5.