Paws in hand, Johnson raises guide dogs

Akhand Dugar

For over 15 years, Counseling Secretary Carol Johnson has brought her guide dogs in training with her to school. A guide dog’s job is to help people with disabilities, such as blindness, perform their day-to-day tasks.

“My daughter wanted to raise a puppy and we thought it would be a great way to give back to the community,” said Johnson. “We were going to raise a puppy but became involved and never stopped.”

Indy takes a nap under Johnson’s desk in the counseling office. Photo courtesy of Johnson.

Johnson is a volunteer for Guide Dogs for the Blind, the organization that she trains puppies for. Her current puppy is Indy, an eight-month-old yellow Labrador.

Johnson raises guide dogs in training for 18-20 months before sending them to complete their official training at a facility in San Rafael referred to as “The Campus.”

“Our job is to socialize them, to teach them basic skills, to expose them to the world,” Johnson said.

Indy follows Johnson to a softball game. Photo courtesy of Johnson.

After four months of training at “The Campus,” the dogs are sent to people all across the U.S.

According to Johnson, students feel like the front desk wouldn’t be the same without Indy.

“They love Indy,” Johnson said. “I have the students pet him, and a lot of students will come just because they know he’s here.”

Johnson and Indy stay together throughout the school day. Photo courtesy of Johnson.