Canceled events cause yearbook staff to make last-minute changes

Photo courtesy of Ava Hinz

As the district prepared to transition to distance learning, numerous events and sports were canceled, ones that normally would be filling the annual yearbook with memories. Events such as the spring musical, Battle of the Classes, and spring sports were cut short, leaving pages suddenly empty. 

According to Yearbook Advisor Meghan Engle, the yearbook has still been produced as usual, and the book was sent to be printed over spring break, meeting their original deadline. 

With a small class size of only five students, time and workload were already a concern, but as in-class communication between her students turned virtual this became even more pressing.

“Communication with Ms. Engle was more difficult and less efficient as we had to email her with every issue or question instead of going up and talking to her,” said Freshman Elizabeth Wolf, a student in the yearbook class.

To fill the pages that normally would be covering the spring musical or other large events, a spread dedicated to COVID-19 and students’ opinions were added. Some spring sports pages also needed to be condensed and shortened, but all were included in some way.

“We had to work around spring sports as there weren’t any games or practices and we had to ask athletes to send in pictures of them doing a skill or from other games… for others we used pictures of athletes from last year,” Wolf said.

Though the yearbook is planned to be printed as usual, arriving mid-May on campus, the distribution time when students who purchased a book will receive their copies is still unclear with school closures.

Students in need of financial aid to purchase can also still apply to a PTSA scholarship via an email that was sent out to students on May 4.