MVHS kicks off the first football game of the season

The score was 10 – 0 with 57 seconds left as quarterback Jackson Steffen took the snap. He dropped back, avoided the tackle, and fired a bullet down the seam to wide receiver Joe Brown for the score.

This touchdown marked the game’s turning point as Mountain View went on to crush King’s Academy 31 – 0. 

The first quarter was relatively uneventful as both teams struggled to move the ball. The only event worth noting was a fumble by Leo Navarro recovered by King’s academy with 10:46 left. Leo’s mistake would not phase him as he took over the rest of the game, notching a 40-yard touchdown run three minutes into the second quarter. Later in the quarter, Mountain View hit a 38-yard field goal and a touchdown by Brown. 

The second half proved that Mountain View was much more elevated than King’s as the team scored two touchdowns on a run by Navarro and a 16-yard dot to Kaleb Ecklund. Navarro went on to run for 221 yards on 16 attempts and two touchdowns. As a result, Navarro is now a nominee for Bay Area Athlete of the Week.

Coach Shelly Smith commented on Navarro’s performance stating how “Leo Navarro… was spectacular, he was unbelievable.” 

Smith further commented on the game, acknowledging the team’s room for improvement.

“I think we have to eliminate mistakes… we just gotta get better, we need to have better ball security… and play a little quicker,” Smith said.

Running back Elias Santamaria was ecstatic to be back on the football field in front of the crowd for the first time as a varsity athlete. 

“It felt great to be back playing, and the energy was electric and really hyped us up,” Santamaria said. 

Mountain View is ranked 25th for Top Bay Area Football Teams and looks to move higher in the rankings as they face a tough matchup against Archbishop Mitty fresh off a 47 – 0 loss against Palma Catholic.

View comments (1)
$2475
$7800

$2475
$7800

• M

Melinda ReedSep 1, 2021 at 5:21 pm

Well written! Kudos

Reply